Everybody loves fried fish, but frying can be so messy. Let’s face it, fried foods really aren’t that good for us anyway. So how do we get that fried food flavor without the mess and raising our cholesterol count through the roof? Oven fried is the way to go, and this week we feature a great recipe with Cajun Oven Fried Trout. We’ll even up the ante with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and honey glazed carrots.Oven fried foods are just as good if not more healthy for you, so we wanted to give an old school taste while being healthy at the same time. Add in some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and honey glazed carrots and you have yourself a delectable dinner planned out for you.
Cajun Oven Fried Trout
- 1lb trout or other medium-firm fish fillets, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup Progresso plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- butter flavored cooking spray
- lemon wedges (if desired)
Move oven rack to position slightly above middle of oven. Heat oven to 500°F. Remove and discard skin from fish. Cut fish into 2×1 1/2-inch pieces.
In small bowl, mix buttermilk and egg white with fork. In another small bowl, mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and Cajun seasoning. Dip fish into buttermilk mixture, then coat with cornmeal mixture. Place in ungreased 13×9-inch pan. Lightly spray cooking spray on fish.
Bake about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Honey Glazed Carrots
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cream
- 4 carrots
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. butter
- cut 1/4″ off the top of the garlic head. Season and oil and wrap in foil parcel and roast for 50 minutes at 425 degrees. When fully tender, cool and then gently squeeze out the soft cloves from the peel.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes. Place in lightly salted pot of boiling water. Cook until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in a bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Combine 2 tbsp. melted butter with 1/4 cup cream and mix into mashed potatoes with roasted garlic.
- Peel the carrots and slice lengthwise in quarters and then into 2″ long pieces. Place carrots in a pot of boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until somewhat tender but still firm. Drain the carrots.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and stir in the honey. Add the carrots and heat through until carrots are fully coated.
We hope you enjoy this week’s edition of Recipe Friday with Cajun Oven Fried Trout with garlic roasted mashed potatoes and honey glazed carrots. Try it out and let us know how you liked it!