Tackle storage is of great importance when it comes to kayak fishing, especially since we’re limited with the amount of storage we have on our kayaks. Manufacturers have grown with the kayak industry developing compact tackle storage solutions. Tackle storage systems are also waterproof to protect our fishing gear. Improvements have also been made in the realm of fishing line and braid to aid the angler in landing that trophy fish.
Each year there seems to be great strides in the quality of gear for anglers, whether it be fishing lures, line, rods & reels, and tackle storage. This year we met with Flambeau, Plano, Nomad, Allen, Redbone for tackle storage, as well as Fins and Spider Wire for fishing line.
Flambeau Outdoors introduced us to Zerust. Zerust is molded directly into the plastic divider tabs in Flambeau Tuff Tainers , the Zerust VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor), when placed within an enclosure, begins to emit an invisible, odorless, non-toxic vapor, which diffuses throughout the tackle box. These Zerust vapor molecules cling to metal surfaces, forming a barrier that seals out rust and corrosion until the metal object being stored is removed from the enclosure. After removal, the Zerust VCI molecules will vaporize from the metal, leaving it clean, dry and corrosion free.
Waterproof Satchel (3000)
- Comes with (2) WP3012 Ultimate Tuff Tainers
- Waterproof Tiff Tainers are flly supporte and protected by base cage
- Fully removable base storage dividers for custom storage space
- Product Size: 13.75″ L x 11.63″ W x 6.95″ H
We were excited to walk through the Plano booth while at ICAST. We were able to not only check out the new gear from Plano, but also learn more about their new “women’s series” of tackle bags.
Plano M-Series Tackle Bag
- Available in 3600 and 3700 sizes
- Cavernous interior holds eight StowAway Utility Boxes
- Exterior pockets secure all your tools, accessories and gear in easily accessible locations
- Molded, impact-resistant, waterproof base
- Includes four StowAway Utility Boxes in corresponding size
- MSRP: $59.99-$79.99
Plano Women’s Series Tote
- 19.5”L x 5.25”W x 13”H
- Two 3600 StowAways included
- Holds up to four 3600 StowAways
- Divided main compartment
- Two end pockets and four slip pockets
- Interior zippered phone pouch
- MSRP: $29.99
Okuma Fishing has made its mark with high quality fishing rods and reels, but introduced new tackle bags at the 2015 ICAST show.
- Okuma Soft Sided Tackle Bag
- 600D polyester with PU coating, incudes 3 tackle trays
- High-quality molded composite zippers
- Comfortable, adjustable carrying strap
- Tackle bag features 2 side pockets
- MSRP: $44.99
Redbone Performance has always been about their fishing rods, but we were pleasantly surprised with their fishing accessories, including tools and tackle storage bags.
Performance Tackle Bag Systems
- Rugged water resistant ripstop construction
- Oversized zipper pulls
- Compression molded protective sunglass holder
- External pliers & cutters tool holders
Allen Company focuses more on the fly fishing aspect with their tackle storage systems. We checked out some great 2015 products including the Fall River Chest Pack, and learned more about some great looking products for the next year.
Fall River Chest Pack
- Zip-Down Work Station with Tippet Tender & Fly Patch
- Padded Neck Strap with net D-ring
- Exterior D-rings for accessories
- Fits large size fly box
- High-Viz lining
- Multiple interior storage pockets
- Heavy-duty molded zippers
Fishing Line has become as popular and more important with the advances in technology. We were introduced to both FINS Braid and Spider Wire while attending ICAST 2015.
FINS Fishing already had an incredible assortment of braided fishing line, but took ICAST by storm with their revolutionary new line, 40G. Incredibly smaller than what we anglers are used to spooling our reels, this smooth new line will definitely become a game changer.
40G’s unique composite structure gives it a smooth mono like feel, but it’s a durable braid with the smallest diameter ever offered. Available in September 2015 in three colors: Chartreuse, Blue, or White.
SpiderWire started in California as part of a technologically advanced research project having nothing to do with fishing has become the cutting-edge fishing line of choice for aggressive anglers who demand the highest quality and performance. With superline, fluorocarbon and monofilament lines to match your toughest demands, Spiderwire isn’t just a leader in the premium fishing line category – it’s in a category all by itself.
Spider Wire Blue Camo Braid
New Stealth Blue Camo Braid is extremely strong and extremely castable with varying color pattern designed to blend naturally with open blue water conditions.