Surf Expo boasts their fair share of SUPs and Apparel, but it definitely has a ton of fishing accessories with the angler in mind. Be it electronics, coolers, camera mounts, LED lights, watches, storage options, or PFDs, Surf Expo had it all covered.
LED lighting on our kayaks & SUPs have become the rage as of late as fishing accessories, and with good reason. The ability to add LED lights to your kayak or SUP opens up easier avenues to night fishing, and besides, they simply look pretty cool when all lit up. My experience had always been with the LED light strips that you adhere to your kayak, drill a hole in the side of your yak, and use a battery. That’s one reason why I was excited to check out the LED lights from NOCQUA.
NOCQUA Sport Edition
- Light Color: White
- Light Modes: On/Off, SOS Strobe
- Length of Bar: 21in./36 LEDs
- Lumens: 600 Lumens per bar
- Battery Life: 2-2.5 hours
- MSRP: $199.99
Cyclops Gear was a new company to me personally. What caught my eye initially was their action camera. Action cameras have quickly become popular fishing accessories in the kayak fishing & SUP angling world. It allows us the ability to video that epic fishing trip or landing that trophy fish. Cyclops Gear featured an action camera with a very intriguing price point with their CGX camera.
- Full HD 1080p @ 30FPS
- 720p @ 60 FPS
- 12 MP still photo resolution
- 1.5″ built in screen
- 130 wide angle lens
- 20M Waterproof case
- Built in WiFi
- MSRP: $149.99
GoScope was another interesting company we stumbled upon at Surf Expo. They featured 3 different GoPro/action camera mounts and telescoping poles as fishing accessories which would give anglers an array of angles when videoing their next kayak or SUP angling trip. I met with Mike Bloom of GoScope to learn more about the Original, Extreme, and Clutch extending telescoping poles.
- Super lightweight: 6 Ounces
- Fits in your backpack
- Comes ready to attach to your GoPro® Camera
- Telescoping from 17″ to 37″
- Mounts on Two Sides (Capable of Holding Two Cameras)
- Durable in Saltwater, Freshwater, and Snow
- Indestructible: Made of Forged Aluminum and Poly-carbonate
- MSRP: $54.95
Coolers and dry cases have long become fishing accessories when it comes to kayak and SUP anglers. We use coolers to sit or stand on when SUP angling or fishing out of our kayaks. Dry boxes have become saviors for many of us with keeping our cell phones and keys dry when out on the water. We swung by the Pelican Products booth to check out some of the latest fishing accessories including their 35qt elite cooler.
35QT Elite Cooler
- Up to 10 days ice retention, freezer grade gasket, 2″ polyurethane insulation
- Dual Handle System (Molded-in & Hinged Handles)
- Press & Pull Latches (Wide for Gloved Use)
- Molded-In Tie Downs
- Non-Skid & Non-Marking Raised Feet
- Molded-In Lock Hasp, Stainless Steel Plate
- Sloped Drain & Tethered Threaded Plug (Garden Hose Attachable)
- Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel Hardware
- Integrated Fish Scale on Lid
IceMule Coolers are portable high performance coolers that you can carry anywhere. They’ve been dubbed the world’s most portable high performance cooler. It rolls up for easy storage, is waterproof, and even floats making it a perfect fishing accessory for kayak and SUP anglers. We checked out the line of coolers from Ice Mule and were very impressed with their quality.
IceMule Pro Cooler – 20L
- Dimensions: 17″ tall, 14″ wide, 11″ deep (when closed)
- Capacity: 18 cans plus ice
- TriFold DriTopTM System. Foolproof seal to keep ice in and air out.
- MuleSkinETTM and MuleSkinEVTM. Tough 1000 denier Outer layer for exceptional strength and durability; heavy-duty inner layer 2X thicker than most soft coolers.
- ComfortCarryIMPTM System. Reinforced back-straps and plus ventilated back pads provide ultimate comfort for long-range excursions.
- PolarLayerTM Insulation. Keeps contents “IceMule Cold” for up to 24 hours.
- IM AirValveTM. Allows for insulation layer air removal so the coller can roll up for storage in its stuff sack.
While it may not necessarily be considered true fishing accessories, storage is simply something all kayak and SUP anglers have to deal with. While walking around Surf Expo, I noticed a booth where a SUP was suspended by a hoist system, and I had to check it out. Designed with ease in mind, the Harken Hoist systems allows you to lower & raise your SUP or kayak and comes with everything you’ll need for easy installation.
SUP Hoister Lift System
- Designed for one-person operation
- Raise and lower with a single control rope
- Patented design lifts and lowers loads evenly
- Stainless steel hardware, double-braid rope for strength, durability, long life
- MSRP: $99.95
A PFD is the ultimate in fishing accessories when it comes to kayak and SUP angling. Not only are you required to have a PFD with you on each trip on the water, but you should always wear your PFD. We met up with Chief PFDiva, Lili Colby, of MTI Adventurewear to check out what’s new in the world of PFD’s. One of the coolest factors of the MTI line of PFDs in my opinion is the improvements made to the Helios pfd’s. MTI listened to anglers on how to make improvements, and put those ideas to work. They also brought out PFD’s aimed at the lady anglers, which has been lacking in our sport in my opinion across the board. The new Helios PFD for men and women is sure to turn a lot of heads with the improvements that MTI has made.
MTI Helios 2.0
- Light weight and comfortable
Manual inflator, just pull yellow T-handle
Includes (1) CO2 Cylinder and instructions
For persons 16 years and older, weighing more than 80 lbs. with a chest size of 30-52 in
- Soft neoprene neckline added to increase all day comfort
- Reflective strips on PFD
- Chest storage pocket with a zip enclosure
- Tethered Whistle
- MSRP: $135