A PFD, or Personal Floatation Device, is literally the most important piece of equipment that a kayak or SUP angler can employ during their kayak fishing trips. Safety should always be number one when kayak fishing, and anglers should always wear a PFD. Choosing a PFD isn’t really very hard, but there are several different brands available for the kayak angler. Day 24 of our Christmas Guide will give you a great selection of different PFD choices for your favorite kayak angler.
PFD: Kayak Safety
We’re personally users of the PFD brands from MTI Adventurewear. The PFD from MTI is very comfortable and offers great uses. We normally use the Helios PFD, which comes in styles for both men and women. The Helios is very comfortable, and the new style yoke fits even better on the angler. The Helios is an inflatable PFD, which is typically cooler to wear during those hot summer months.
- New improved fit and women’s colorway
- Zippered front storage pocket
- Reflective trim
- Includes Signal Whistle
- Bayonet Style CO2 Cylinder Included
- Indicator Window
- MSRP: $139.95
Another great PFD option from MTI Aventurewear is the DIO F-SPEC. The DIO F-SPEC PFD offers the more traditional style of PFD, but with a high back so it won’t interfere with the kayak seat back, and offers tons of storage for your extra gear.
- Pockets with internal organizers, removable fly patch, whistle, and radio mast portal
6 points of adjustment, padded neoprene shoulders, and reflective trim and patches
Mesh back clears even the highest kayak seat
- MSRP: $126.95
The Ronny Fisher from Astral was designed to meet the needs of expert anglers. Our ThinVent™ back design keeps you cool and comfortable, while loads of storage options keep the essentials well organized and at your fingertips. We’ve also added a unique stowable rain hood, tool organizer and beverage pocket.
- Pocketed Hood
- Two Flip Down Pockets
- Tool Organizer w/ Attachment Points
- Reflective Trim
The Elevate Angler PFD from ExtraSport came straight from a fisherman‘s dream with oversized pockets that allow you to wear your tackle box and keep it right at hand, all in an easy-to-fit, universal size.
- Baja Back – comfort with all seat designs
- Zippered chest pocket, 2 Expandable pockets for storage cases
- VHF Radio pocket, Carabiner clip-on loop
- Hypalon patches for retractors
- 2 D-Rings & elastic retention clip
- Reflective piping on front & back
- MSRP: $79.99
Pockets on pockets, lots of gear attachment points, plus flotation if you swim — what’s not to like about the NRS Chinook Life Jacket? Fishermen, sea kayakers and anyone who wants a vest with lots of storage will love this PFD.
- Designed with anglers in mind, the Chinook features 7 front pockets for everything from small tackle boxes to tippet.
- Perfect for kayak fishing, fly fishing and extended tours!
- The mesh lower back is a great fit on high-back seats and provides ventilation when the weather’s warm.
- The roomy front-entry design with 8 adjustment points lets you customize the fit for comfort and security.
- Soft PlushFIT™ foam flotation conforms to your body as you wear it for unsurpassed comfort.
- A coil tool retractor allows you to clip on line snips, forceps or other tools that you want to have handy.
- Includes a D-ring on the back for attaching your net, plus a strobe holder loop for those low light conditions.
- Other outstanding features include rod holder loops, a knife lash tab, and multiple D-rings and attachment loops.
- MSRP: $109.95