New fishing rods will grab any angler’s attention and understandably so. One of the most important tools an angler can employ is a great fishing rod. And let’s be honest here for a minute, nothing gets us drooling better than the anticipation of picking up a new rod. ICAST 2016 had an amazing selection of new fishing rods, and here’s a taste of what’s coming for us to get excited about.
New Fishing Rods
ICAST featured several new fishing rods, some we all know, some that are new, and some that are improved. Here’s an extensive of some of the new fishing rods that we checked out at this year’s ICAST show.
We had an absolute great time meeting with the folks of Castaway Rods while attending ICAST. They have a great selection of fishing rods, perfect for any style of kayak fishing. What really caught our eye was the Taranis CX1 and the Lady Angler. Both rods felt great in our hands, and are sure to be the perfect tool for landing your next trophy fish.
- CastAway proprietary High Modulus Graphite Blank with Carbon Nano Tube Polymer Composite
- Forcast – SS304 Stainless Steel Frame Guides/Hard Aluminum Oxide Rings
- High Durometer EVA Handles
- Forcast – Graphite Solid Trigger/Casting Blank Exposed Reel Seat
- CastAway Static Zoned Guide Spacing
- MSRP: $99.99 – $109.99
- Multi-Modulus Blended Carbon Blank
- Stainless Steel Frame Guides, Hard Ceramic Inserts
- Premium Grade Full Cork Handle
- Graphite Composite Reel Seat
- CastAway Static Zoned Guide Spacing
- MSRP: $99.99
St. Croix has long been known as one of the most trusted brands when it comes to fishing rods, and this year only added to the trophy case. St Croix won 2 best of show awards for the Legend Glass (Best Freshwater Rod) and Sole (Best Fly Fishing Rod) at ICAST 2016.
Anglers seek out St. Croix Legend series rods for their design, balance, and technology. Today anglers are looking to find the “best tool for the technique” and glass rods have become an important part of their arsenal. St. Croix’s NEW Legend Glass series answers their needs. These premium 100% linear S-Glass rods utilize IPC tooling technology, are extremely lightweight and make casting, retrieving and fishing fish… a dream.
Fly aficionados openly discuss how a one-piece fly rod feels in hand. They extoll the virtues on how it loads, the control the design provides and more. Blindfold these same anglers…place a SOLE fly rod in their hands…and they would all tell you…it IS a one-piece rod. One-piece performance; Two-piece mobility. Offered in 4wt. to 12 wt.; fresh and saltwater anglers alike will add SOLE to their rod assortment.
Mach Speed Stick Inshore
Lew’s Fishing took home 3 of the coveted Best of Show awards at this year’s ICAST show, including Best Saltwater rod – Mach Speed Stick Inshore. Lew’s Mach Speed Stick Inshore rod features an IM6 graphite blank constructed using Lew’s exclusive Carbon Nano Tube process for greater strength in its lightweight and sensitive design. The rod also has American Tackle’s new AirWave guide system and a split-grip handle with Winn Dri-Tac technology. The Mach Speed Stick Inshore rod retails for around $79.99
Team Lew’s Custom Pro Series
The new Team Lew’s Custom Pro Series rods feature Lew’s exclusive LFS-X5 Nano Technology. The “5” designation represents the 5 different materials used in construction of the innovative lightweight design with exceptional strength and sensitivity. Custom actions are technique driven.
Duce rods introduced 2 new fishing rods at this year’s ICAST show. A freshwater series, Echo, and a saltwater series, Delta, for anglers everywhere. These rods not only looked great, but had a great feel about them.
The ECHO series is made with bass anglers in mind and will have twelve models that cover a wide variety of techniques. Each rod will have features a black and white look that includes, multi modulus lightweight graphite blanks, a EVA foam split grip with X Flock shrink tube, titanium guides, DUCE’S own screw down hood, and our Spiral Wrapped Technology. This Series is to have an MSRP of $140.
The DELTA series will feature ten popular inshore and freshwater actions. Sporting a new black and blue look they will feature multi modulus lightweight graphite blanks, custom engraved cork split grips, DUCE’S own fore-grip hook keeper, titanium guides, and our Spiral Wrapped Technology. This series will have a $200 MSRP.
Lamiglas Rods introduced their new Paco Kayak series rods at this year’s ICAST show, designed to be the perfect rod for kayak anglers. There will be 6 models in the new kayak series of rods from Lamiglas Rods.
Paco Kayak Rods
- Foam & graphite handle design for optimal grip, sensitivity, and durability.
- 270lb tensile strength lanyard connection loop built into butt
- Utilizing the finest in graphite and composite blank designs
- Short rear grip allows ideal balance and maneuverability
Kistler Rods introduces our American made, KLX Feel N Reel Rod Series with S2 Hybrid technology – a complete series of unique reaction (moving) bait fishing rods. From Medium, Medium-Heavy to Heavy-powered, moderate action fishing rods, the KLX Feel N Reel Series celebrates diverse rod technology that inevitably empowers anglers to experience the latest in technology (thereby, increasing their success). KLX Feel N Reel Series unleashes a new wave of slower, softer reaction bait fishing rods, which will increase catch ratios and empower each angler with the ability to overcome fishing’s toughest days on the water. S2 Hybrid Technology, as featured in the KLX Feel N Reel Series, will re-define how anglers fish reaction baits with optimal success.
Feel-N- Reel Rods
- S2 Hybrid Blank Technology, by North Fork Composites
- Composite blank made with one part S2 hybrid material blended with one part T800 high modulus graphite
- Ounce for ounce and power for power, the S2 blanks weigh no more than pure graphite blanks
- Complete series of soft, moderate reaction bait fishing rods
- Slowing down the action and softening the power of the fishing rod blank allows a fish more time to inhale the lure before the angler sets the hook.
- Kigan® Macro Z tangle free, Coalite stainless steel guides
- Fuji time tested ECSM blank exposed reel seats
- Kigan Hook Lock bait keeper
- Casting Rod: 13 models to choose from.
- Spinning Rods: 2 models to choose from.
- MSRP: $249 – $289
McCain Hi-Performance Rods
McCain Hi-Performance Rods also introduced a new fishing rod designed for the kayak angler. Built with kayak anglers in mind with help from Ty Southerland, Vance Zahorski, and Joey Monteleone, Morgan McCain built a rod that is “light, sensitive, and durable, and will be the perfect addition to any kayak angler’s arsenal.”
Kayak Pro Series
- American made graphite
- Fuji reel seats
- Super-Slick guides and premium quality cork
- Each Kayak Series rod comes with an exclusive carbon fiber lime green Line Cutterz ring, rod tether, and custom rod glove.
- MSRP: $179.95 – $189.95
Favorite USA had to be one of the coolest rods I looked at and held while attending ICAST 2016. This new fishing rod was ridiculous. Super light and just looked amazing. Weighing it at only 1.9oz, the Summit from Favorite USA is literally the lightest rod I’ve ever seen. The action on the rod is also pretty sweet, and I can see this being a perfect rod for speckled sea trout out on the flats.