The Helios SX from Okuma Fishing USA was recently introduced and I took full advantage of putting it through the ringer on some stud fish on a recent trip to Crystal River, Florida.
When I look for a spinning reel I look for several things. I want a reel that is fairly light, has a ton of backbone, and gets the job done. Oh yeah, it has to be smooth too! I’ve been a fan of Okuma Fishing reels for many years now. I can beat them up and they’re just like the old Energizer bunny… they just keep going and going. I’d been using the Helios reel matched up with the super light Helios rod for about 3 years, but this year Okuma updated and upgraded their Helios reel with the new Helios SX. The Helios SX is now silver and black with orange highlights versus the old green and carbon look. To be honest, this new color scheme simply makes the reel look tougher. The 9 ball bearings means this reel will remain smooth regardless of the size of fish you’re reeling in all day long.
I picked up the new Helios SX reel earlier this year, but finally got the opportunity to really put it to work during a recent trip to Southwest Florida. This reel brought in big snook, big redfish, spotted sea trout, black sea bass, all with no problems at all. With constant casting and reeling in fish, the Helios SX remained smooth all day long, even after an unintentional swim while landing a fish out of my Wahoo 12.5 kayak. Even with all of the backbone that this reel produces, it’s still in a small and lightweight package. I love that I can fish all day, casting lures or cut bait, and not have to worry about fatigue.
If you’re in the market for a new fishing reel, but don’t want to drop a ton of cash then I highly suggest testing and trying out the new Helios SX from Okuma Fishing USA!
- Light weight C-40X carbon frame and sideplates
- C-40X Cyclonic Flow Rotor for corrosion resistance
- TCA: Torsion Control Armor reduces twisting
- 8HPB + 1RB corrosion resistant stainless steel bearings
- Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
- ALG: Precision AlumiLite alloy main gear and oscillating gears
- Rigid, machined aluminum, anodized handle
- Light weight, EVA handle knobs for comfort
- Precision Elliptical Gearing system
- Machined aluminum, 2-tone anodized spool
- Heavy duty, solid aluminum bail wire
- RESII: Computer balanced Rotor Equalizing System
- Helios SX spinning reels are backed by a 1-year limited warranty
- MSRP: $129.99