Angler safety is just as, if not more, important as new kayaks, rods, reels, lures, etc. While there wasn’t an abundance of PFD companies in attendance at this year’s ICAST show, there were great new styles and updates to the ones we have always trusted for our angler safety.
When it comes to angler safety, it doesn’t matter how much your kayak cost you, how awesome your new rod and reel are, it only matters that you’re properly wearing your PFD on the water. Too often it seems that anglers spend all their funds on everything else, yet skimp out on a quality PFD. Here are some great new PFD’s from MTI Adventurewear, Mustang, and Onyx which will definitely ensure your angler safety.
MTI introduced a new line of PFD with their new auto-inflate line. Two new styles and colors to go with an already impressive line of Personal Floatation Devices. The Neptune will be an auto-inflate PFD giving a little more piece of mind when out on the water.
- Auto-inflates when immersed or when the back-up jerk tab is pulled.
- Engineered for comfortable all-day wear with ergonomic collar with neoprene neck panel to prevent chaffing.
- Mesh Yoke with Daisy-chain attachment points for clipping on gear.
- Zippered storage pocket.
- Easy to install bayonet CO2 cylinder and Indicator Window to check arming status.
- Includes signal whistle.
- Colors: Realtree MAX-4(r) Camo print or High Vis Ripstop Orange.
- Design Buoyancy: 29lbs Inflated
- USCG Type III
- SIZE: Adult Universal, Chest size 30″-56″
- MSRP: $159.95
Mustang Survival introduced 2 new styles of PFD’s for adults and young adults, the DLX Inflatable and the REV Young Adult Vest. These exciting new styles will debut in the Spring of 2017.
DLX Inflatable PFD
With a more comfortable fit around the head and neck, the DLX features a MOLLE-inspired attachment system for custom configuration of gear, a discreet anodized sidepull inflation handle, an dual sides which adjust for easy side customization. The DLX Inflatable PFD is an ideal choice for kayak fishermen, coastal cruisers, and general boaters seeking high buoyancy inflation.
- New compact no-bayonet inflator
- Discreet anodized side-pull inflation handle
- AIS compatible to aid searchers in a rescue situation
- Zippered side pocket
- More comfortable fit around neck and back
- MOLLE inspired attachment system for custom configuration of gear (pocket sold separately)
- Dual side adjusters provide an easy size adjustment
- 38LBS buoyancy when inflated
- Colors available: Gray | Red | Black
- MSRP: Auto: $189.99 / Manual: $159.99
REV Young Adult Vest
Built for a serious fishing mission, this vest is as versatile as its owner. From fishing to boating to days of summer fun, safety meets performance in the REV Young Adult Vest. Specifically designed interior foam panels form to the body to fit better than a size small adult vest.
- Specially designed interior foam panels form-fit the body for a better fit compared to a small adult vest
- MOLLE inspired accessory panel for custom attachment of gear
- Cooling-channeled interior back
- Segmented foam panels for an active, flexible fit
- Colors available: Gray/Light gray/Fluorescent yellow-green | Gray/White/Pink
- MSRP: $79.99
Onyx outdoor recreation products provide reliable, dependable and trustworthy gear you are looking for to keep you outdoors longer and will allow you to experience nature on your terms. Onyx products are comprised of a complete line of rainwear, inflatable life jackets (PFDs), fishing and hunting life jackets, pet vests and paddling life vests. Also in the Onyx lineup is our cold weather apparel and accessories for hunting and ice fishing. Products include: jackets, parkas, bibs, pants, boot insulators, gloves and beanies featuring ArcticShield heat retention technology as well as base layers, gloves, beanies and balaclavas featuring X-System odor control technology.
Kayak Fishing Vest
- Low profile, paddle specific foam design
- Six adjustment straps to cinch vest up for a snug fit
- High foam back accommodates high back seats
- Breathable mesh lower back
- Comfortable neoprene shoulder pads
- Pockets designed for your essential gear:
- Largemouth cargo pocket securely holds a VHF radio or long noise pliers
- One button push drop down tray pocket with 2” elastic strap to secure small tackle box
- Zippered fleece-lined pockets
- Zippered chest pocket
- 2” woven elastic attachment points
- Hanging loop for drying
- 400 denier nylon oxford
- Lash tab for small accessories * U.S. Coast Guard Approved Type III Life Jacket / Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- MSRP: $79.99
- Available: November/December 2016